Skip to main content

First trip alone!!!!


I went to Madurai to my aunt’s home, all alone… It was a nice experience, yet a boring one too. Train journeys are always the best mode of transport! My dad dropped me at the station and waited until the train departed. With a mix of fear and excitement, my journey began.

The journey became lonelier and more boring as time went on. A lady sat next to me and slept the entire time. On the other side, a group of politicians were busy bribing the ticket examiner for confirmed seats. A few of them even fought over a chicken piece in the biryani!

I took my favorite Lays (the green pack) with me and ended up buying six coffees on the train! I passed time listening to songs on my Samsung iPod (which technically wasn’t mine—it was a gift to my sister, but I’m the one who always uses it!).

I reached Madurai at 8:30 PM, where my mama was already waiting for me, even before the train arrived!

My dad waited until the train departed, and my mama was waiting before the train arrived—thus marking my so-called ‘FIRST TRIP ALONE!’

Originally posted on 12-Mar-2011 Edited on 09-Feb-2025

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

June 15: The Day I Buried My Mother and Met My Daughter

Eleven years ago, on this very day, our family grieved all over again. My mother passed away on May 8, 2015. While the initial rituals were completed within a few days, one final responsibility remained. Since she had been cremated, we decided to take her ashes to our ancestral graveyard, where my great-grandparents and grandparents were buried. On June 15, 2015, we laid her ashes to rest. Along with them went her favorite sarees, her notebook, the pen she always carried, and several belongings that had been a part of her daily life. As we buried those ashes, it felt as though we were saying goodbye to her all over again. Her ashes were the last tangible reminder we had of her, and letting go was not easy. Six years later, in 2021, I was pregnant with my daughter. My due date was June 7, 2021, but God had a different plan. Days passed, and there were no signs of labor. We waited and waited. By June 13, I had crossed 40 weeks, and labor was induced without much success. On the night of ...

FRIENDSHIP

25-March-2010 We all have friends at all stages of our lives. But how many of us keep in touch with them forever??? I always wondered why 99% of friendships break at every stage. I was very close with one of my friends in the 5th class. We used to say we’d never be separated. But now, I don’t even know where she is… Then came my 10th-class friend. We were like flesh and nail—we wore the same dress, ate together, and hung out everywhere. But now she is far away from me. We talk only twice a year—once on her birthday and once on mine. And then, my college friends. Not just one, but 13 of them. Very close to me. We ruled the class! Everyone was jealous of our friendship. But how long would it last??? It was nice to hear my friends say that we’d meet once a year and have fun. But practically… is it possible? Friendship is like a train. It starts at the source station and ends at the destination. It stops at every station along the way. Friends are like passengers—they board the train of fr...

Tomorrow, My Morning Coffee Will Taste Different

It’s been three weeks since we moved to Vadodara. Every morning since, I’ve unknowingly built a quiet ritual—coffee in hand, eyes on the sky, watching planes take off from Vadodara Airport, which I can see clearly from our balcony. There's something calming about it. Hopeful, even. A small moment of stillness as the world begins to move. But today… today was not like the other days. Around noon, news broke about the Air India crash at Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel Airport, Ahmedabad. And everything I felt in those quiet, breezy mornings shattered into something heavier, more fragile. It’s strange how suddenly a routine can take on new meaning and how quickly something comforting can start to feel ominous. My husband used to be a frequent flyer to Ahmedabad in the months before we settled down here. I was right there at that same airport with my dad and daughter, barely three weeks ago. I still remember my first visit to Ahmedabad and I wasn’t particularly excited. It felt temporary. ...