Skip to main content

The Night We Searched the City for One Tiny Bangle

On 31st January 2026, my daughter was performing a Durga dance for her annual feast.

Her excitement was sky-high.

On 30th January, just a day before the event, we received her costume. We opened it carefully, checked every piece — and that’s when we realized something was missing.

She didn’t have bangles.

For a Durga costume, bangles are not optional. They complete the look.

Without wasting time, we rushed to our usual go-to shop — Bombay Sale at Kodiyar Nagar. To our surprise, they didn’t have bangles for a four-year-old.

We thought, “Okay, maybe another store.”

That “another store” turned into roaming almost every familiar stretch we knew.

Kodiyar Nagar.
VIP Road.
Harni.
Amit Circle.
Sama.

Shop after shop.

Not a single store had bangles for such a small child.

We were genuinely shocked. How could something so basic be so hard to find?

After hours of searching, we finally decided we would somehow manage with the few mismatched ones we had at home.

And just when we were about to give up — we noticed a small pushcart vendor by the roadside. He was selling headbands, hair clips, bindis, lipstick… and random accessories.

With very little hope, we asked him.

And there it was.

Tiny bangles — exactly my daughter’s size.

He charged ₹100 for two dozen.

I didn’t bargain. I didn’t even hesitate. I happily bought them and felt like we had found gold.

We returned home relieved — but also surprised at how most big stores didn’t stock something as simple as bangles for young children.

After that day, every time we stepped out, we kept an eye out for bangles.

Most shops still didn’t have them.

Whenever we found some, we bought them immediately.

Now I have four dozen sets — one in her current size, one slightly bigger (just in case), and backups for emergencies.

Maybe we weren’t searching in the right places.

Or maybe parenting teaches you one thing very clearly —

When you finally find something that works for your child, you don’t risk losing it again.

And somewhere in Vadodara, a small pushcart vendor saved our Durga performance day. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

June 15: The Day I Buried My Mother and Met My Daughter

Eleven years ago, on this very day, our family grieved all over again. My mother passed away on May 8, 2015. While the initial rituals were completed within a few days, one final responsibility remained. Since she had been cremated, we decided to take her ashes to our ancestral graveyard, where my great-grandparents and grandparents were buried. On June 15, 2015, we laid her ashes to rest. Along with them went her favorite sarees, her notebook, the pen she always carried, and several belongings that had been a part of her daily life. As we buried those ashes, it felt as though we were saying goodbye to her all over again. Her ashes were the last tangible reminder we had of her, and letting go was not easy. Six years later, in 2021, I was pregnant with my daughter. My due date was June 7, 2021, but God had a different plan. Days passed, and there were no signs of labor. We waited and waited. By June 13, I had crossed 40 weeks, and labor was induced without much success. On the night of ...

Tomorrow, My Morning Coffee Will Taste Different

It’s been three weeks since we moved to Vadodara. Every morning since, I’ve unknowingly built a quiet ritual—coffee in hand, eyes on the sky, watching planes take off from Vadodara Airport, which I can see clearly from our balcony. There's something calming about it. Hopeful, even. A small moment of stillness as the world begins to move. But today… today was not like the other days. Around noon, news broke about the Air India crash at Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel Airport, Ahmedabad. And everything I felt in those quiet, breezy mornings shattered into something heavier, more fragile. It’s strange how suddenly a routine can take on new meaning and how quickly something comforting can start to feel ominous. My husband used to be a frequent flyer to Ahmedabad in the months before we settled down here. I was right there at that same airport with my dad and daughter, barely three weeks ago. I still remember my first visit to Ahmedabad and I wasn’t particularly excited. It felt temporary. ...

FRIENDSHIP

25-March-2010 We all have friends at all stages of our lives. But how many of us keep in touch with them forever??? I always wondered why 99% of friendships break at every stage. I was very close with one of my friends in the 5th class. We used to say we’d never be separated. But now, I don’t even know where she is… Then came my 10th-class friend. We were like flesh and nail—we wore the same dress, ate together, and hung out everywhere. But now she is far away from me. We talk only twice a year—once on her birthday and once on mine. And then, my college friends. Not just one, but 13 of them. Very close to me. We ruled the class! Everyone was jealous of our friendship. But how long would it last??? It was nice to hear my friends say that we’d meet once a year and have fun. But practically… is it possible? Friendship is like a train. It starts at the source station and ends at the destination. It stops at every station along the way. Friends are like passengers—they board the train of fr...