Wednesday, September 15, 2010

AN 'EXPERIMENT' GONE WRONG!


I am not an expert in science, I'm scared of physics and chemistry. I had a tough time learning Chemistry. My teacher and my mom used to tell me that, "any thing learned practically will stay long in mind". So I though of learning physics and chemistry practically. I started experimenting with all the articles I got; a screw, magnet, water, salt, spoon, egg, even a nail polish too!

One fine day I was trying to apply nail polish which was dry. I couldn't get the polish since it was dry and I decided to heat it; because I remembered we heat wax to melt it, thinking nail polish is made of wax! Since my mom doesn't allow me to play with fire, I secretly stole a match box and went out to experiment. I burnt the match stick and put it in the nail polish bottle. The light went off! "Ah! I discovered that nail polish doesn't have oxygen! What a great discovery? I have become a little scientist," I thought.

I immediately called my friends, sister and my mother and showed my experiment. I burnt a match stick again and put it in the bottle; it went off again. Then I gave some stupid explanations and put a matchstick again and it started burning!

Everyone started scolding me and I felt ashamed of my stupidity. I took a note of my mistake and learnt what is nail polish really made of.

I understood that nothing should be half done and nothing should be half learnt. From then I used to learn everything perfectly and understand the real concept behind every action.

Even now, if I think the incident I laugh. For my 'interest' in science!!!

No comments: