Monday, August 16, 2010

"SUMITRA" MALE OR FEMALE???





There was an audition for an English play "Chakravuaha" in my final year college. My friends wanted me to enact the play so i volunteered. Play coordinator narrated the story and she gave us the freedom to choose our role... I was late and did not listen to the story , but I was very eager to choose the role since I wanted a female role!!! Why a female role??? So that I can wear gorgeous costumes lots and lots of bangles!!! (I'm crazy about bangles!)

Sumitra!!!(thinking its female) I said in a loud voice. (extremely loud to get everyone's attention, so that no one else choose the role) All our roles were finalized. I was so happy, dreaming about gorgeous dress, bangles. I was the first one to nod for my role and very contented with it. Play coordinator then started to narrate the story to every individuals.

My role is only on the 3rd scene so I was idle all the day. I used to watch everyone practicing their role. All boyish role... The day came when she narrated my part and gave me my dialogues. Shocking!!! 4 line of dialogue! that too a boy's dialogue! Not a boy!!! I'm the Grandfather of the hero! I'm the oldest person in the play (crying).

My bangles? gorgeous dress? center of attraction? hmmm.... When I came back to class and said this my friends had a hearty laugh. I though I should never do the grandfather role and was bunking the practice but some how they caught hold of me, made me practice my 4 lines of dialogue 40 times a day!!!

The play came out very well. Every one had a good time playing with my white bushy bushy beard. My friends were not able to recognize me in that old man look. Make-up-man did a good justice to his work by making me look so old and poor!

Sumitra!!! a male??? that too an old man???

No comments: